Texas slaves first learned of their freedom on June 19, 1865 on Galveston Island. What's now known as Juneteenth was born. I went to the island to get reaction as the longtime observance became a federal holiday. I had nothing set up when the day began. But, fortunately, the Galveston Historical Commission was able to connect me with a women who's long pushed for recognition and had a great-great-grandmother who lived through emancipation herself. We also got video of a new mural dedicate to telling the story of Juneteenth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Big Plans For Dead Mall
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/greenspoint-mall-redevelopment-demolition-citynorth/285-78857fc3-9f66-47b8-a378-722b18560806 Plans...
-
Police search for possible serial rapist I first visited the Mill Creek Apartments in Memphis in April following a rape and assault. Now, ...
-
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/shenandoah-officer-rescues-girl-mental-health-crisis-i-45-overpass/285-7e3fac37-5a6c-466f-8707-c52fb...
-
Tri-State Defender denied access to Trump rally in Millington Dozens of media outlets covered Donald Trump in Millington, TN last weekend. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment