The iconic River Oaks Theater in Houston is my personal favorite place to see a movie. It dates to 1939 and is like going back in time. I knew it had been in jeopardy before due to redevelopment all around it. Now a lease dispute between the theater operator and building's owner threatens it once again. I was able to get an interview with the theater operator who said business dropped 95% during the pandemic and paying rent at the same level isn't possible. The owner said the theater hasn't paid rent since March of 2020. Meanwhile, Preservation Houston, which helped save the theater years ago, is willing to launch a similar effort to try and preserve it again. Unfortunately, demolition isn't prohibited even as a designated City of Houston landmark.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Big Plans For Dead Mall
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/greenspoint-mall-redevelopment-demolition-citynorth/285-78857fc3-9f66-47b8-a378-722b18560806 Plans...
-
Police search for possible serial rapist I first visited the Mill Creek Apartments in Memphis in April following a rape and assault. Now, ...
-
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/shenandoah-officer-rescues-girl-mental-health-crisis-i-45-overpass/285-7e3fac37-5a6c-466f-8707-c52fb...
-
Tri-State Defender denied access to Trump rally in Millington Dozens of media outlets covered Donald Trump in Millington, TN last weekend. ...
No comments:
Post a Comment