Friday, October 28, 2011

Heartbreaking

FedEx truck involved in fatal accident near Senatobia - Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee
It's become alarmingly easy for me over the years to avoid emotion while covering tragic stories.  I believe it is a necessity when you cover so many.  The first day of sweeps this November brought one such story.  I was covering an MPD officer's arrest on drug charges when we got word that a FedEx truck rear-ended a Saturn on Highway 51 in Senatobia, MS.  I was dispatched to The MED (hospital) after my hit on Action News 5 at 4:00.  I waited..and waited..with hopes of finding a family member of two young sisters killed in the crash.  These assignments are never easy.  I eventually met an uncle of the girls and he took my card back into the hospital.  Two cousins later emerged, did interviews, and provided photos of the two girls -- ages 2 and 6.  We were the first station to air the photos.  It was a victory for us..but bittersweet considering the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inside a NASA habitat meant to mimic Mars

https://www.khou.com/article/tech/science/space/nasa-mars-habitat-test/285-2b700b9f-dbb7-4f54-82c5-8ca72924dd14   It's always fun to get...